View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #8
zooki

Drives: waiting on a 2021...
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well, here's my train of thought...if the aftermarket can get the electronics to cope with increased cylinder pressures of FI through tuning while still using 93 octane gasoline, why can't the engine be tuned to use 87 octane at the decreased cylinder pressures that a N/A motor has. It's not like 93 octane has any more power potential than 87, in fact it may have less power potential do do its slower burn rate. I think direct injection motors have a lot more leeway in the compression/octane relationship due to the way fuel is introduced into the cylinders. If you can get the same amount of power with lower octane gas, why wouldn't you? I'm talking about from the factory. I wouldn't spend the money on an aftermarket tune to get the motor to produce 200 HP on 87 octane. But I think the factory could do it. So, just to be clear. I am not looking for an aftermarket tune for 87 octane, I am fine with the car the way it is, I have no problem buying 93 octane either. This is just a thought experiment on what I've seen boosted motors doing with 12.5 to 1 compression and pump gas.
zooki is offline   Reply With Quote