i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepGuessing View Post
Well considering some of the information thus far has been "lies of omission/exclusion" i'd be hesitant to just feed off of what's been said about the car just yet..

for 1, the Cayman's Center of Gravity is measured with it's stock wheels/tires..
That's a 17" wheel and a 55mm sidewall tire in the front and a 17" wheel and a 50mm sidewall tire in the rear, along with however much rake the car has.....Let's not forget the car has 5" of ground clearance..

The FR-S however has multiple wheel tire size options..

The GT86 RC for example, comes with 16" wheels, the BRZ with 17" wheels and 45mm sidewalls, the toyota 20 spokes are 18" wheels with 40mm sidewalls.. So that "Lower than the Cayman's center of gravity" varies substantially before the car has even hit the car lots.

I know thusfar toyota has said it's weight will start at 26xxlbs...But now that line has been blurred with the inclusion of the Toyota GT86 RC, which is the "26xx lb" model they were talking about.

So if the car with the factual "lower than cayman center of gravity" is ALSO the RC, then chances are every car with larger selection of wheels and tires doesn't quite fit the same claims.

As for the "If all things are equal i don't see why it couldn't corner as fast" by all things equal do you mean PURELY in the tires? or do you mean going through substantial measures to get the same generalized specifications from both...

Because then we're talking optimal suspension tuning for both, because the porsche is setup for tire preservation and guel economy (being a Base Cayman and not an S) while the FR-S is not as noted by the stock cast/camber...Then you have to factor in that the FRS stock suspension setup IS a compromise for performance and economy, which is why the negative toe under hard cornering is prevalent unless addressed...etc etc..

but if we're talking JUST equal tires? no..
suspension tuning on the porsche is no doubt superior, (in terms of damper valving and spring setup)

however Toyota isn't exactly the new kid on the block, and until you start getting into the really sticky tires and a need for aero, or you start completly redesigning the base car (ie, WRC) then the advantage of having superior dampers is not that great

dynamic alignment changes for the most part affect drivability, if you put the car on a skid pad it's not going to affect the overall grip, just the way you drive the car

so yes, if you put the FRS and Porsche on lets say a pair of RS3's or StarSpecs of equal sizes, i am confident the FRS will pull the same G's on a skidpad

where the porsche is most likely superior is prolonges cornering sessions where its ABS, brake package, and aero tricks will give it the edge.

in either case, even if a Cayman will out handle an FRS it will not be a surprise to anyone

but imagine the opposite...

let the fanboi in me glee in sushine happyness.. LOL

plus from my own personal experience of tracking shitty econoboxes, i know that there is often much hidden potential in a lighter car going up against a heavier car with more power.. but this is where the fun in driving is (at least for me)