View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014, 05:17 PM   #23903
Pedrap858

Drives: Corolla
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I would say so, yes, but I was already in the work force, doing IT work by the time I got the degree. I got the Masters degree in MIS because my undergraduate degree was not computer related, and I felt I needed a piece of paper to make sure I progressed into management. It has paid off in the long run, and was a checkbox for my current Director position.

In my experience, a lot of corporate based IT higher level management positions (Director and above) require either an MBA or a MIS degree, particularly if they are hiring from outside. A computer science degree will work too in some cases, but I've seen people with an MIS degree selected over a CS degree because of the better understanding of how to apply technology to business.

It really all depends on what you want to do long term. For the most part the paper only matters the most for your first or maybe second job. After you pass about 5 years, its your experience that matters most, although the degree may be a checkbox item.
How is it like working in the IT department/field? Do you enjoy what you do? Is there opportunity to move up in the IT field?
My bad if I'm bugging you, and the other members with all these career questions