View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #1
LimitedSlip
Senior Citizen Member

Drives: Then-1977 Celica GT Now-2017 860SE
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
2017+ Battery Terminal Sensors And Power Amp Connections

The 2017+ twins don't have any individual vehicle electrical connections made directly to the battery posts. Instead, there are modules clamped to both posts and all vehicle connections are made to these modules.

1. The module on the negative post is the "Battery Current Sensor" and is used to monitor the voltage, current flow, and temperature of the battery. The ECU uses this information to control alternator output (the 12 to 14 volt fluctuation noticed by many).

2. The module on the positive post *appears* to be just a distribution block with a couple of large fuses protecting major circuits.

I want to connect a sub amp in the trunk that requires 4 gauge power cables. I'm going to use a chassis ground in the trunk for the negative side so the amp's current draw will be seen by the Battery Current Sensor.

My question is this: Can I connect the positive 4 gauge cable directly to the battery post clamp bolt thus bypassing the "distribution block"? (Does that block do anything other than serve as a fuse holder?)

There would be a new fuse in the 4 gauge cable about six inches from the battery post.

Thanks!
LimitedSlip is offline   Reply With Quote