Old 10-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #23
NWFRS

Drives: ‘13 FRS
Thanked 1,502 Times in 634 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I think Toyota doesn't know how to make good sports cars and they've done a stroke of genius by paying people that do know how to make fun cars to make cars for them, just like they paid Yamaha and Lotus in the past. The Zupra is a small BMW M-hatch, coincidentally BMW made the last great 2-door RWD hatchback and I am seriously looking at the non-M clownshoes as a ~$10k fun car.

Yeah. You're right. It sounds like it's just not economically viable for manufacturers to spend money developing a low-volume sport car anymore. And you know people will see it as stale after four years no matter how good it is. And there are far more armchair critics and internet pundits than actual buyers. Many of these cars may have never existed without co-development. I'm fine with it as I see the BMW partnership as having a lot to offer. They do great inline-six engines, gearboxes, and suspension. But I can see where my buddy is coming from too. He wants to see Toyota's handiwork on some of the performance parts, not just the skin. And even though he could afford it I think the idea of taking a Toyota to a BMW dealer for service really rubs him raw. He's also pretty set in his ways. His Mk.3 is really more of a GT by modern standards. I think he would miss his reclining seats and his targa top. So not entirely the car's fault. I love most of the styling apart from that huge rear duck-tail spoiler, and I'm doing my best to talk him into one so I can ride in it. But we'll see.
NWFRS is offline   Reply With Quote