Old 01-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #15
johhnc479

Drives: White FRS, 2011 Cayman, 1986 944
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Good write up.

In our cars the traction control light flashes before you are doing anything stupid and sometimes when you are doing stuff right (trail braking for me, any braking near bumps, etc).

I push people to turn it off as early as possible otherwise they rely on it. I met an instructor recently who made the comment that his DSP (or whatever BMW calls it) light flashing made him realize he was pushing too hard... yeah.. an instructor.... I've noticed with my BRZ that the traction control system in sport mode kicks in all the time at sebring, with it off, the car doesn't doing anything bad and since it's not activating much faster and *SMOOTHER* driving is possible.
I went through instructor training last year and their (PCA) preference was to generally leave driver aids on. Makes sense - job #1 is to not let the student wad up the car. My struggle from the right seat was trying to "feel" for electronics. A few times a student would make a mistake, and I was 90% sure electronics stepped in. But damned if I could feel it.

The FRS is my first car with electonics, so maybe experiencing some electronic corrections myself will help out.
johhnc479 is offline   Reply With Quote