View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 12:41 AM   #34
chrisl

Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni_0176 View Post
As with anything in life, there is a such thing as too much. Whether or not that Wing is or isn't unbeatable for the amount of downforce it provides, it seems a bit unnecessary. Maybe on a car that can hit 200 mph on the straights, but the max speed possible without changing gear ratios for our cars is 168 mph, and unless he is making a ton of power, the car isn't hitting 168 mph anyway. Also, even if the car could hit max speed, I doubt it would be doing it on straights at the track.

On top of all of that, there is a downside to having a big wing like that... which is the fact that it adds additional weight, and reduces acceleration at low speeds.

Just sayin.
Actually, it's exactly the opposite: a slower car needs a LARGER wing to be effective, since the airflow isn't going as fast. Yes, it adds drag, but on most racetracks, the added drag won't be nearly as significant to laptimes as the added corner speed due to the extra grip (assuming the car is properly setup for the new aero).

As for this comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer 2.5 View Post
That wing? RICE... Doesnt even have an aero-kit, diffuser, or coilovers (challenge that). It's also way to large for the BRZ, as it won't be effective at that size. Maybe it will help in the winter by adding uneccesary weight to the back!
A diffuser and aero kit is dramatically overrated - you won't get nearly as much downforce from a couple of side skirts or a diffuser as you will from a BFW on the trunk. Yes, underbody aerodynamics are important, but you would need to put in an enormous amount of effort to make them effective, since they are highly dependent on the entire underside of the car. To make large amounts of downforce with underbody aerodynamics would require pretty much a complete redo of the bottom of the car, front to back, and you'd probably have some issues with exhaust heating if you did so. A wing is comparatively cheap and simple, and allows for easy adjustment of downforce (as well as the corresponding drag) to allow for both high speed and twisty tracks. Also, as stated above, it will be plenty effective at that size - a larger wing is always more effective, and a slower car needs a larger wing in order for it to have any effect at all.

Coilovers though are a decent investment for someone tracking their car a lot. That car may well have them though - I don't know why you think it doesn't. Ride height isn't necessarily a dead giveaway, especially if the coilovers were added for performance rather than appearance. In fact, if the person wanted to maximize track performance without compromising drivability or ground clearance, that could also explain the lack of a front splitter and diffuser, though I'll admit I'm just speculating at this point.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chrisl For This Useful Post:
Ganthrithor (11-12-2013), PoorMansRacing (12-26-2013), TheLaughingMan (12-26-2013), Tristor (03-21-2018)