strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
Honestly, I'm not 100% positive I believe that he's actually driven one... An IS300 will in no way be anywhere near the handling of a mid-engine Boxster... and I'm saying that as someone who loves some of the other cars he mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Sorry, but I'm gonna wave the BS flag again. No IS300 "with a few mods" is going to keep pace with a current Boxster on any track, straight or otherwise. Keep in mind what you're saying when you don't like the Boxster is that you don't like one of the purest handling cars money can buy. You can say you don't like the image associated with the Boxster (kind of like with the Miata). But I've never heard of an auto enthusiast that didn't like nimble gokart like handling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
@WolfpackS2k Is 300, with either 2jz gte swap or stock engine with header, tune, e85, rubber and suspension will whoop a boxster on certain tracks sorry to burst your bubble.

It's got a great base (double wishbone all four corners designed by the guy who designed the ae86, Supra powertrain), but for that 3,400 lb 220 horsepower pig to "whoop" a Boxster you're going to have to dump at least double the purchase price into it redoing all the suspension, wheels, tires, scrounging for quality power parts because nobody bothered with the NA 2JZ seems like you have to go custom and wrangle with outdated ECU tech. The idea of doing a nice reliable 2JZ-GTE swap for less than $7k is laughable.

$15k-$20k+ 15 year old Toyota sedan or $10k 15 year old Porsche convertible...

I seriously considered buying an IS300, I drove one, the torque even on that neglected POS I drove would kick an FA20 in the pants and the thing had beautiful body roll and grip for something that heavy. But 600lbs lighter and mid-engined it ain't. Dude it's ok that you like different cars, that you'd rather have a solid roof (I would too) and 4 seats, that you don't like the styling of this or that and that.

I'll probably never own a Boxster either, but if there's a car that doesn't jive with my philosophy there's no reason to get mad about it and call it a fraud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
You'll probably be surprised to hear I prefer a Telecaster to a strat also. and redheads to blondes.
I like my Tele better than my Strat at this point. It's almost like opinions can change over time and shouldn't determine your happiness and get you into pointless arguments!

And IMO the 86 is too fat as well, a cheap GT car not a sports car.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
fumanchu1 (01-28-2016), WolfpackS2k (01-28-2016)