View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 03:07 AM   #48
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin2111 View Post
For everyone who is saying that convertible buyers are not enthusiasts please keep in mind that that the Miata is the 1# modified and raced car in the history of automobiles.

I have a soft top but I rock a hardtop 75% of the time. I love the idea of a soft top. I would take it off add the sway/struts to keep the rigidity and then get a sexy hard top for it. Most people who hate on convertibles have never driven a Miata. It is not a Mercedes or Lexus which gets sloppy as hell. It is a race car with the sky above your head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas FR-S View Post
Yup... Although I was very happy owning the MX-5 because it was a pure sports car developed as a convertible from ground up.
Tex got it, the miata is a ground up convertible sports car - and an amazing one at that. Having the option would've been nice but I'm content that Mazda (and the s2000 as well!) decided not to bring over a coupe version of the it, the convertible is simply great as it is. With maybe the exception of some exotics (458 comes to mind) it's very rare, in fact, I can't think of a single one... that a chopped top coupe turns out to be a great sporty convertible meeting or exceeding the coupe version.

An also interesting look would be convertibles that turned into coupes and how they fared. Some that come to mind; BMW Z3/Z4, Pontiac Solstice, Shelby Cobra.. I say it's a mixed bag: some were better for it and some weren't.

Anyways, back to subject - A targa top may actually make some sense, does anyone know how it effects structural rigidity as compared to the standard coupe or a convertible? I know Porsche uses the targa method a lot in their history and I believe it was to retain some of the chassis balance/feel. Pop's Grand Sport Corvette has it and I think it's fantastic, a great balance for a sports car.
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Re_Invention For This Useful Post:
Texas BRZ (11-25-2012)