View Single Post
Old 10-26-2018, 02:41 AM   #1027
wdninja

Drives: 2023 Toyota GR86 Premium
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You're not wrong that the gaskets are meant to prevent water from entering the trunk. When the water flows around the trunk seal from the roof, rear glass, trunk lid, etc, it flows over the tail light housing, which has a 1/4" gap between itself and the water channel. The water flows directly onto the gasket, carrying debris, pollen, dirt, and other abrasives. If the gasket fails, then water runs down over your tail light, and some can get into the housing through the bulb openings, either directly or through evaporation if water is anywhere in the trunk.

In the attached image, I've indicated the following:
  1. Yellow: Where the factory gasket is sealed, with basically a double sided piece of tape. (Ours are sealed all the way around, if installed according to the instructions)
  2. Red: Where the water flows directly onto the gasket.
  3. Pink arrow: Bulb and opening
  4. Blue arrow: Direction of the water.

The factory gaskets are only sealed at the top edge, and if water drips down the sides or bottom of the gasket, it can pretty easily get in. Our installation method applies adhesive all the way around the gasket, and if done correctly, forms a solid seal so water can't get in. We also recommend applying some water resistant tape or other material over the gap so that water can't continue to assault the fresh gaskets.

There are any number of reasons the tail lights on your specific vehicle are fogging up - the housing is cracked somewhere, they were overtightened on reinstall, the gaskets weren't installed correctly and didn't have a full seal, or the previous owner never dried the tail lights out fully. I'm more than happy to work with you to help resolve this issue however I can, but I don't know that it's fair to say that a product doesn't work that you didn't purchase yourself or install yourself to insure it was properly done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantedTaken View Post
@wdninja

I was looking at my tail lights today, and they are sealed in the back.
That gasket is only to prevent water from entering the trunk, not the lights.
It's a mounting gasket so the lights don't vibrate against the body. Not to seal the lights

My tail lights have your Ninja gaskets installed by the last owner, and they still fog up.
So, the product does not work. Who else has installed this product and still experienced water in the lights?

Water is entering from a different place, like where the clear plastic lens meets the rear housing.

Can you explain how exactly your gasket helps prevent water from entering the tail lights?
You can mark the diagram below, and show where the water enters the tail light.

Last edited by wdninja; 02-17-2019 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Editing image link
wdninja is offline   Reply With Quote