View Single Post
Old 08-08-2022, 09:41 PM   #1
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ZD8 2022 BRZ Tanabe (Revel) Medallion S catback

Hi All,

In case anyone was wondering, the Revel brand (Tanabe) Medallion S catback for the first gen cars (item T80166RR) fits ours perfectly. I've been on the hunt for a catback for the BRZ and set sights on the Concept G single exit. Found out that's been discounted but the Medallion S appears to have taken its place (...it's the same piece...right?!).

In a nut shell I measured approx. 35 pounds total weight factory muffler and mid-pipe and approx. 22 pounds total for the Tanabe unit. It re-uses the front pipe donut gasket and spring'd bolts, comes with a new muffler gasket and bolt/nuts.

I got to try out my laile hanger removal tool. Best $20 you can spend. If you want to make life even easier spray a little soapy water on the rubber hanger for a breeze.

Sounds, uh, great. Sounds like a high school special but I dig that. Loads of crackles and pops on downshift with a little throttle blip. It's foot-controllable, so to speak. On start up it's certainly louder than stock but I think acceptable, even for apartment residents or early risers. Coming in late at night would be no issue. At regular idle (800) it is near stock levels and adds maybe 5 dB across the range if you're not in it with a +10-12 dB or so at full tilt. I got it for the noise, so I'm not going to complain about extra volume - helped a little with the helmet on and sound actor turned off. With the CAE shifter which is lacking the rubber boots, the cutout headliner and exhaust I could still have a comfortable conversation with my son in the backseat. There is some drone around 2,400 rpms in 6th gear - I drive it around it in 5th or a little slower/faster in 6th.

I got the kit for about $540 new. For that money the quality is perfectly adequate. I dig the single exit look to boot. Happy with the purchase. Could see myself upgrading to a Fujitsubo authorize rm+c in the far off future.

I'll update with a sound clip later in the week.
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Re_Invention For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (08-08-2022), finch1750 (09-20-2022)