Old 09-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #35
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post

We need some more guinea pigs to join gmhooker and BMWDavid and use the Pentosin. Do a bunch of daily driving or hard track days and send it in for analysis.
I got my blackstone bottle riiiiight here...

http://kaizenfactor.wordpress.com/20...n-or-is-scion/

what we NEED is a VIRGIN oil sample out of the tranny of a new 6MT since no one can get their paws on subie or toy gl3 mtf for this car to date
just open the fill hole, stick a syringe in there grab a few cc's and send it in.

if bmwdavid sends his in, I'll ante up and pay the cost for analysis so we can figure out WHAT it is 1st, even once I know its not going back in my car..the difference, rather the improvement is way too dramatic then, after 10,000 miles lets do a UOA and see what blackstone says. if they flow the same, and have the same minimum essential EP and FM then its not as unorthodox as one may think to put german oil in a jap car

I do the intelligent BITOG thing and talk 100°C cSt. Not SAE grades. I got $27,900 suggesting I'm pretty confident in my findings before I went pouring german into japan..
as for deviating from 0w-20 for dd duty, nope. anytime you start and stop alot, you want flow. thats your 40 cST When youre hanging out at redline you want HTHS, and watch the 100cST

the we will do this again at 40k miles
one of us will have had a notchy tranny for 40k miles, the other, miles of smiles.
the metal content will tell whose tranny is wearing faster, which fluid is not doing its job - - simple.

after all its a manual tranny derived off a tranny used in a honda s2000 many years ago, and mazdas, folks have been experimenting with GM and Motorcraft fluids for a while in thos ecar with alleged improved results. Go look at what mother company owns ford, and you will see across the pond some ford or motor craft fluid bottles have ravenol, addinol, or pentosin in side. The new Focus ST has all german spec'd fluid FYI, its a euro model that ships global, there is no more North American spec, so many of the fluids have become global formulations

I get there is variation in the BRZ/FRS tranny from the aisin one used in s2000, and I get there are reasons why what i am doing is going out on a limb.
Its up for debate if Pentosin has been used in Aisin trannys, based on s2000 and mazda boards, they been using non jap fluid for years, and when I see names like GM syncromesh and Motorcraft, there formulations arent top secret. if its not a pento branded goop, its likely a copy of many of the fluid tech pioneered to meet EU standards have now become widely used for engineering development worldwide and as such, these formulations are becoming more ubiquitous under a variety of names. its probably JUST coincidence that honda uses a MTF2 and pentosin uses a MTF2 and they are both 75w-80s...same color, etc etc

its Not like someone went and gave us some rocket space age tranny for $27k. automotive technology just doesnt move THAT fast. There is no voodoo in one brand over another. all factory fluids are repack'd formulas, and I can generally find a fluid that either meets, or EXCEEDs OE if you match them up.
What i am doing is as risky as running redline, and lots of you put that crap in your boxes...lets see what happens

personally, I'm waiting to see what bmwdavids results are

This is interesting
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1643610
and
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2617262
Anyone who knows anything about m3 transmissions knows they also use similar cone type synchros as the aisin in our cars, my bet is the toyota stuff is a 6 or 7 cST.
Pentosin is right there. I hit redline a dozen times on the way to breakfast- we took the long way) and so did wifey took turns driving..so our cars are driven pretty hard. We bought it for toy and track use, so I need it to shift, reliably.

Last edited by gmookher; 09-10-2012 at 12:58 AM.
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gmookher For This Useful Post:
altezza280t (07-25-2013), BMWDavid (09-09-2012), Ragin Gti (03-15-2017)