View Single Post
Old 01-23-2016, 04:11 PM   #164
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I had a right foot injury so I tried driving using only my left foot. I was doing ok until I had to hit the brakes - then I almost broke my jaw on the steering wheel as I was unaware of how touch sensitive the brake pedal is. (my right foot is well tuned to put exact pressure on pedal while my left foot tried and everything in the car went flying forwards.)

Left foot braking is good for hill starts in an auto, as well as launching from a higher rpm off the starting line/stoplight, and doing smokey burnouts. Also in a FWD car, you can corner brake to get a bit of rotation while staying on the gas.

I can see a medical reason for left foot braking, but not any other logical argument like "better reaction time" or "less chance of pedal confusion". Also in stop & go traffic, use your transmission. Shift in to 2nd gear (this works in an auto or manual) and then you just let up on the gas to slow down. Actively shift gears (auto) to use engine braking and reduce foot fatigue. Most of the stop and go is crawling - you can leave a little space and try to crawl at one constant speed rather than follow the stop and go pattern of the car ahead of you.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ashtray For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (01-24-2016), Tcoat (01-23-2016)