m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmobilefrs View Post
Not sure if this has been said yet, but here it goes. About 3 months ago I received a check engine light, took the car into Toyota and they said the tune chip on the AEM intake was causing bank 1 to run too rich, and they recommended i remove it. I like HP so I said screw you and kept it. Then 2 weeks ago my car started lurching, felt like a miss fire or slipping belt, I wasn't sure but I knew it was bad, after being in and out of the dealership for a week straight and phone calls to Toyota HQ in California, they removed the "tune chip" from the AEM intake piggyback to the MAF and poof, problem solved. What was happening was the chip was not controlling the fuel to air mixture like it should, it was telling the engine to FUEL!!!!! So it was putting so much fuel into the engine that it wasn't all combusting. Not sure what kind of long term damage this did to the engine, but AEM readily agreed to refund me the price of the intake, and the repair bill, because intake is not covered under factory warranty, go figure. Still have it installed, but not the chip.
Interesting you say that. Last fall on a random cool, humid morning in Texas (previous day was upper 80's then to mid 50's) my dad started my car to move it and it idled funny then threw a CEL. I went down to autozone when they opened to get the code read and it said rich. I removed the intake thinking it was a fluke and never got the code again but also haven't re-installed it because im loving stock.

There could be problems with these.
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ