View Single Post
Old 12-01-2016, 11:05 PM   #1
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Verus Engineering Rear Wing Development

Velox Motorsports is working on developing our own wing profile and we are looking for information from you, the enthusiasts, to help us with a few key features to make it a solid performer for you guys. In typical fashion, we’re after function over form; but, we’re going to try our best to make it look nice as well.

Your own Profile? What does that mean?:
We wanted to create a highly efficient wing that doesn’t have a large drop off in efficiency with larger angles of attack (AOA). We started with a known profile that performed close to what we were after, and then we used ANSYS Adjoint Solver within Fluent to help us sculpt it into an even better performing unit.

ANSYS Adjoint Solver:
This is something not many people in our market know about, let alone heard before. This is the same technology that F1 companies utilize to optimize their aero packages. Aerodynamics are not very intuitive, you think A will happen and B, C, or Z happens. ANSYS Adjoint Solver is a large reason why the latest generations of F1 cars look so odd; it’s due to this software’s ability to optimize the geometry in ways us designers would never think about without thousands upon thousands of hours of work.

Your much-appreciated Input:
With the profile figured out, we’re optimizing endplate and gurney flap design now but we really need help on designing mounting.

The rear wing needs to be tied directly to structural components of the car, the loads the wing will produce at speeds will deform the trunk. So that leads us to two main potential options:

1) Mounted through the rear bumper to the rear crash beam or a rear crash beam-like structure.
a. Positives:
i. Less expensive
ii. Can retain use of trunk with wing removed (potentially even with wing installed)
iii. Changing rear bumper out isn’t horrible if reverting back to stock
iv. Removal and install would be fairly easy
b. Negatives:
i. For ease of install, the wing would be mounted on the bottom and not swan neck.
ii. This reduces efficiency of the wing but isn’t a massive performance hit
iii. You can’t say you have a swan neck wing.
2) Mounting the wing through the rear trunk to a structural part of the vehicle
a. Positives:
i. Swan neck mounting could be utilized
ii. Improved efficiency/performance
b. Negatives
i. Trunk would no longer be water tight
ii. Trunk would no longer be useful
iii. More expensive the option 1
iv. Basically a race/track car only setup
If there is anything else we're not considering, please let us know.

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited by VerusEric; 08-06-2017 at 08:41 PM.
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (12-12-2016), FirstWinter (12-02-2016), Insurme1 (12-22-2016), JohnnyGT86 (04-22-2018), Jonsey (12-02-2016), Racecomp Engineering (12-02-2016), Takumi788 (12-02-2016), TheStig85 (04-26-2018)