Old 09-01-2017, 11:42 PM   #119
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I don't know why but the transmissions vary dramatically from on to the next. There is a pretty big crowd of us in the Portland metro area and we've all driven each other's cars. Some easily drop into first on a roll. Just as many are like mine which fight you unless you double-clutch.
How about a difference in the same transmission with a different engine?

Before my engine replacement, my transmission was smooth. I could drop into first easily, and I never got the crunching people talked about here. I thought what people were describing was operator error.

Since I got the car back with the new engine, the exact same transmission feels completely different. Now it no longer goes into first very easily, third and fifth are notchy or crunchy on downshifts, and if I really pull hard it will crunch going into sixth. It also feels like the gates are not quite in the same place. For example, downshifting from fifth to fourth used to be a silky smooth motion, but now the shifter will get hung up halfway down. And I now have the sixth gear whine above 70 mph.

I took it back in to have it checked. The tech who did the engine swap drove it and said this was normal behavior. I drove with him riding along and pointed out what it was doing, and he still said it was normal.

I don't understand what happened. I don't think it's damage from the loss of the engine. It makes me wonder if there's something to the claims people have made about the transmission mount bushings improving shifting, as in perhaps the crunchy transmissions are somehow not aligned properly when the mount is torqued down.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote