Old 01-18-2013, 03:02 AM   #8
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

Drives: #SLOBRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomchi1989 View Post
I have been told by the guy at Tonkins that 3" is the max...
How do you know 4" will work easy?
Cause my 4" will fit in any hole?? :|

Well, i guess it depends on your speaker, as Flat Black said, he had to trim, which he would mean from the plastic in the hole, which wouldn't surprise me.
Some speakers say they are a certain size, but need a bigger cutout.

I have pulled out 10in subs, that seem to float in the cutout, and put other 10in subs that needed me to make the hole bigger.

I guess what i should ask is, what do you plan on putting in there, are you replacing all the speakers? or are you just wanting to add a 4in speaker?

If you are replacing them all, are you putting in a 3 way setup just cause you can?
How much do you want to spend?

Personally, if you haven't had years of experience with 3 way setups, i wouldn't use them, for two reasons.
1: they are very hard to set up correctly
2: price.

the second one ill explain

say you have a budget of $500.
for that you would get some very good two way splits, but you would get some average three way splits all because you are splitting that money over 6 speakers instead of 4.
The cheapest 3 way splits i would buy would be Crescendo's 7B's which RRP at $799 http://www.ozbliss.com/products_cres...s_7B-3Way.html

These actually sound fantastic! but you would want a good quality amp and head unit to get the most of them.

Personally, I will be running a 2 way set up, a set of CDT splits, 6.5in midbass and 1in tweeter.
The tweeter may be replaced with a large format tweeter such as a Vifa ring radiator as i used to use, which is about 4in in diameter..

Anyway, may have gotten a bit carried away there
The Following User Says Thank You to fuddbutter For This Useful Post:
yomchi1989 (01-19-2013)