View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 10:38 AM   #51
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
1. Do you experience a lot of crunchy gear changes from 1 to 2? I find the 1-2 shift especially tricky, which is unfortunate because of how many times you make that shift.

- it's a very mechanical feeling box, stock fluid is meh. Currently on Amsoil MTG 75W90 and it's fine imo.

2. Is the “tractor” sound normal when you are in a higher gear at lower rpm’s? My car really sounds like a little tractor in that situation. Lol It’s especially noticeable when you are in say 2nd gear slowly moving through a parking lot.

- I wouldn't call it a tractor sound, but yes it does have a particular sound to it if you're pulling low revs like that.

3. What is the consensus on short shift kits? I’m worried about spending a bunch of money on one and not being happy with it. I added a oem TRD shift knob, which surprisingly feels lighter than the stock one. I really like it though.

I don't like short shifters but I like a heavy shift knob. I guess I wouldn't like the TRD.

4. Is removing the clutch assist spring a helpful thing? I agree that the clutch takeup is a little strange, but my issues aren’t with the clutch pedal.

Clutch assist spring has to go. The clutch on this car is pretty light even without the spring, all the spring does is make it harder to modulate the friction because the feedback is deader than the dead pedal on an automatic.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
JesseG (11-04-2019)