View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 09:53 AM   #18
Docdoc

Drives: Scion FR-S 2014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So as a bit of a wrap-up to the event I did want to share a bit about what I learned from the experience and what may help me when I track again.
  1. I did not bring the best of shoes - I had a plan to bring a nicely broken in pair of converse all star shoes, though I left them behind and had a hard sole leather shoe that worked, at the end of the 2 and half hours on the track, my feet were hurting. I may grab the pair of driving shoes I have been eyeing on Amazon.
  2. My tires were good but they could have been better - I was running Bridgestone s-04 pole position tires that had good grip, but I was fighting them though most of the more difficult corners, and I think dedicated track tires may have helped. *I ran with what I came down on the car with.
  3. I was having trouble with shifting - Since it was my first time on the track, I was shifting in the corner when I should have just stuck with a gear while downshifting before the corner. This sometimes made the car jerk a bit mid turn, I was able to keep it under control but, During the last two rounds I was able to focus on the apex more by having it all done before the corner.
  4. I pushed my car to the limit - I made sure to ring out the engine were ever I could and if the tires were not fighting for grip I felt I was not pushing it enough so I went faster. I believe I hit ~110 MPH on the straight before I had to hard break for the upcoming S turn. This was good and bad, first I was able to keep up with a 400+ hp Cadillac, Mainly cause he weighs so much and has to brake before a turn much earlier then me. I also spun out the car twice. I did not damage it, and I just waited till their was a opening in cars on the track and pulled back on the track.
  5. The engine was fine - I made sure to keep a eye on the engine temp and did not see it get to hot, however it was in the 50's, Though I think I may still get a oil cooler and a way to log the temps. As if I run in the summer the engine may need the oil cooler. I did however see a Honda s2000 bring it in early one session for a overheating engine. I think he may have had a bigger cooling issue however.
  6. Find a good Instructor - I asked the presenters of the event if their is a instructor I could go with. They handed me off to William, that was basically a race car driver with a highly modified s2000. I went with him for his warm up lap and he ended up passing about 4 cars even though his back tires kept losing grip. He was a impressive driver and I learned a lot from him. I suggest finding someone at the event that knows the track and drives a rear wheel car similar to the GT86.

Overall though it was super fun to do and I did it rather cheaply compared to some of the people there.

Docdoc

Last edited by Docdoc; 03-18-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Docdoc is offline   Reply With Quote