soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmichelle View Post
Out of curiosity, how do salvage yards work? Do I bring a screwdriver and pry things off a car in the yard? Do I negotiate prices? Can I call and ask if they have a blue one (since the back part is a painted piece?
it's a per-yard basis. the majority, you check if they have the car/color you're looking for and they remove the part by any means necessary and then put it on the counter for you to purchase.

if the yard specifically says something like 'pick your part' or 'u-pull', then it's a yard that you can take off your own parts. but the majority of DIY yards don't have our cars in inventory.

if you look at 'used' parts for the brz/fr-s/86 on ebay, just about all the sellers have a thing saying that if there's a specific part you're looking for to send them a message to check availability.

in your case, i would recommend asking for the entire used mirror assembly in the color you need instead of attempting to get only the plastic pieces you really need. because it's going to be difficult to guarantee that they'll be able to get those individual plastic pieces off without breaking the mounting tabs.
Dadhawk (09-10-2019), humfrz (09-09-2019), lynnmichelle (09-09-2019)