Old 09-25-2018, 04:04 AM   #12707
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,012 Times in 1,855 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
My understanding as I researched it years ago was that if the engine was never sold in the US meeting CARB standards you didn't have a chance in hell at getting past that lab, but I can find no evidence that this is an actual requirement, so what the hell maybe you're right, but I didn't get a good feeling when I rang the lab up to ask them some questions, I've heard they're bitter folk down there...

I was looking at E30 wagons, lots of 320i wagons in Europe but the M20B20 was never sold here, swapping to a 325is M20B25 power train + emissions was the easy way to go since it was basically plug and play, so I wasn't paying much attention to how to get a Euro engine to pass. I went and looked at one in Benicia but the 2.5 had spun a rod bearing and I didn't have the cash to pull it all together and get it legalized without the guy practically giving it away.
I want to say some modifications are done and the process if very long. With that said, I didn't look into it too much since I didn't want to be tempted to buy a true JDM import. Lol.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote