View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZedit Cam Tuning Info

Greetings Everyone.

I managed to find another local dyno that charges much better rates than the last place i went.. so i decided to give them a shot today and work on some cam tuning. This is on my stock 2013 FR-s. I have just over 1,000 miles at this point and am still on the temporary tag No intake mods (other than sound tube delete), no exhaust mods etc. Just a catch can, opticoat, and a lazer jammer.

A little background to explain the test setup first. My car has seemed to run on the lean side since day one. After my first tuning session i noticed the WOT afr's were hit an miss.. sometimes they were spot on (right after a flash) sometimes they were too rich to register (richer than 12.1:1) on the factory wide range sensor. After doing a lot of logging it turns out i was stacking up heavy long term fuel trims (between +5 and +10). I believe this is a common issue with these cars and is most likely responsible for the aftermarket intake bogging issue many people experience.

Anyway. Over the past week i have rescalled my Maf to get the trims under control and made a few changes to the open loop transition setting so it drop into openloop based on the fuel map not any of the timers etc. This is a typical subaru setup found on latter model rex's and lgt's etc. I had not had time to dial in the fuel before the cam tuning and more details of the whole trims issue will be posted in another thread.

The base map i used for the cam sweep testing includes my maf rescale with several degrees of timing pulled out for safety during the testing. All pulls were done in 3rd gear to keep the run times short on my fresh motor

I started with setting the exhaust cam to the middle of the adjustment range (25 on BRZedit) and moved the Intake cam from full advance (40) across the whole rpm range to middle position (15) to full retard (-10)... here are the results:

Next I blended the intake cam settings based on the above to get the best power and moved the exhaust cam from full retard (0), to middle (25), to full advance (50)....

I then blended the exhaust cam setting and pasted the intake and exhaust cam maps into the map i drove in on. This map has not been tuned for power yet, just basic maf scaling with about the same timing curve i came up with last time on the dyno. Here are the blended settings vs the stock map with the advance multiplier set to 1.0.. this a good bit richer than stock...

Here you can see the comparison of fueling between the stock map on my car and run 11 from the above plot:

I had to get off the dyno at this point, but i did tweak the fuel to a consistent 12.7 - 12.9 wot before i left the parking lot for the drive home.

The dip is much less noticeable now and it pulls very hard from just over 4k. I think I am done tuning on the stock setup for now. I'm going to post up the maf scale info in another thread tomorrow. I'm sure there is more that can be pulled out of the setup by phasing the cams together in some spots (advancing or retarding them together).. I'll play around with that once i do some intake and exhaust work.
86drift (02-24-2013), banane63 (02-09-2014), Calum (02-23-2013), Dimman (02-24-2013), diodelphi (01-25-2015), Grip Ronin (02-12-2014), illmatic (02-23-2013), Lonewolf (02-24-2013), sierra (02-24-2013), u/Josh (09-16-2013), Wayno (06-05-2016), Xero-Limit (02-24-2013)