View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 04:38 AM   #29
Neilus

Drives: GTS 86 6M
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Installed mine last night. I found using a longer extension on the socket was best to tighten up the bolts on the shifter bushing.

You can move around the small shaft a little from the gearbox to help align the bushing as intially it was a little close to the top of the body of the car.
I also held the tail shaft with one hand so as I undid the bolt holding it to the body it didnt drop suddenly and possibly strip the thread.

They are not kidding when they say it is a tight fit to get the new one on but once again I did this on my garage floor with wheel stands etc.
I did invest in a $40 sled to lay on from super cheap. I have never had one before but was gold for this job.

I also bought two small rubber mats for my ramps to go on as my garage floor is painted and were consistantly slipping tring to get the car up the ramps. I knew I would be working on this car alot so I bought extra long ramps as this car is quite low as stock. However the ramps were still not long enough and had to put hard wood sleepers before the ramps to stop the car scraping on the front.

After the install I jumped in the car and moved the gears around to get a feel of what it was like. ...... Well I did think it was still a little cluncky and not really what I had hoped.
But in the morning when I drove it to work and soon as I shifted in second gear I new that this had done the job. In fact it feels completely different.
I think it is excellent compared to stock. Much smoother through the gears, really nice you will like it.

6th gear did seem a bit tighter to me and did have to guide it a little more than before but still smooth just a little stiffer than the rest of the gears.

Hope this helps anyone else deciding to put this in. I think its well worth the effort and excellent mod. Well done Perrin.
Neilus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Neilus For This Useful Post:
DriftEightSix (01-07-2013), IntotheOcean (04-02-2014), mixtape (05-04-2016), PerCompLLC (04-10-2024)