View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 01:54 AM   #199
GirlyScions

Drives: Mazda3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
When it comes to boost, DI actually supplements the fuel needs of the forced air. So its actually not a limitation especially as a D4-S applications.

I think the biggest mistake people are going to make when boosting this car is lowering the compression to accept more boost to the point where the DI becomes useless. DI's biggest advantage is providing a weak stratified mixture at all loads and still provide the necessarily homogeneous fuel mixture for TQ and performance. But to make DI work properly is using that high compression and piston swirl shape. To compensate we would need change the injection profile and cycle somehow to retain that homogeneous mixture otherwise it would be just shooting way to lean to warrant any benefits.

But any mistakes can also be masked by increasing the flow to the port injector.

We arn't anywhere close to maxing out DI injectors..and the port injectors still provide good intake fuel certain loads and boosting anywhere from 7lbs-12lbs on a appropriately sized turbo, sounds pretty good using factory parts with a marginal tune no more invasive than a simple timing and fuel correction at the start of powerband.

If we are looking at boosts around 15lbs-20lbs, or upwards of 30lbs...there is no cheap way regardless of any direction you look to support those numbers digitally and physically.
On the fa20 turbo engine showed for the new wrxs (I think) wasn't using the DI. Something makes me think a stock boosted brz wont include DI
GirlyScions is offline   Reply With Quote