View Single Post
Old 09-09-2016, 12:42 PM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
I will add some discussion points:

Many will pay the extra even though they will never, ever, need the bigger brakes. They will do it for bragging rights, the cosmetics it provides or the mistaken belief it will help them stop better. Although bragging rights and cosmetics are both perfectly reasonable reasons the whole stopping thing needs to be clarified.

Bigger brakes do not make you stop faster or better. This has been heavily debated before and some wonky physics thrown around as "proof" that they do but it is just not fact. Your tires will brake loose before your normal brakes ever give up when street driving. Bigger brakes do help with heat dissipation and preventing fade. On the track these are very critical factors but if you are driving on the street in such a manner that heat is an issue then you are doing something wrong.

There are many aftermarket solutions that can cost you way less than the package. I bet there are a couple of thousand posts on here from experienced track guys that state very clearly that for the casual track day all you really need are good pads and fluid. This package may be gross overkill for the casual track guy and is totally not required for street use.

As mentioned anybody that buys the package needs to think through what their future mod plans are. If wheel or suspension changes are going to be done then it is not a great package to get just for the brakes. You could of course sell the parts but you are still going to take a hit. It remains to be seen how well these cars are going to sell but if the dealers bring them in with the package already in place it could be a great bargaining tool when negotiating price. "Well Salesman Joe, I really have not decided on this or the new 86 but if you were to throw in a PP..."
jarnojvv (09-27-2016), MJones_RB (09-09-2016), Zaku (09-09-2016)