Old 01-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #255
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
And? We shall ignore that it's barely faster than a Civic just because they aren't in the same class? Toyota's premium sports car is just barely faster than a "supped up econobox". And you find that to be a good or acceptable thing? Seriously? If I were Toyota I wouldn't even release that time if it really does run a 7:40 or slower.

And older chassis sucked in comparison to modern chassis. Modern performance cars are much better performance cars than their older versions.
The Supra was raced and was built to compete (the best it could) with the Skyline and other track focused cars, but it did it with reliability and brute strength. The performance you see from the MKIV is mostly drag and rolling highway races. I know the market is oober track focused these days, but Toyota never said it was their intention to design a track monster from their grand touring sports car—just a drive focused car. Do you think Aston Martin cares or their buyers care that the V12 Vantage S in 2014 ran a 7:52 or their 2017 V8 Vantage GT8 ran a 7:50?

The supped up Civic was faster than these new cars: 718 Cayman S (7:46), the Audi TTRS (7:48), Lotus Exige (7:48), BMW M2 Competition (7:52), etc, not to mention a whole host of other cars just five to ten years ago we would car supercars or hypercars like a Bugatti and a Zonda (7:44) or Audi R8, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, etc.

And what if the time they release is 7:38? Then will you sigh in relief?
Tcoat (01-16-2019)