View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 11:26 AM   #29
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enalband24 View Post
Well, I've been in the market for an oil pressure gauge recently, figured it would be a good idea to monitor the pressure, especially with the tendency of the oil temps to rise so easily in this vehicle. So I picked up an AEM digital oil pressure gauge and mounted it in the CravenSpeed flexpod mount after seeing the flexpod in @Dezoris and @Tye300's 86's. So here are my thoughts on both.

CravenSpeed Flexpod Mount:

I found this pod set up to be excellent overall. The adjustable pods allow the gauges to be right where you need them to be visible, and out of the way of vital instrumentation on the cluster (depending on your steering wheel height). The mount is stout and made out of aluminum which has a black matte finish (very clean in my opinion). I had two small issues. 1. The bolts they supplied were too long and allowed the pods to be loose when the bolts were fully tightened into the mount (I ended up sourcing my own shorter bolts). 2. When properly tightened, the steering would hit the bezel on the AEM gauge, there was not enough clearance (I found some small washers and placed them on the bolt in between the pod and mount to set the gauges back a bit farther). As I said though, I am very happy with the flexpod mount, solid mounting solution.

AEM Oil Pressure Gauge:

I'm not really sure what to think yet. I love that it is digital. However, my oil pressures seem to be pretty jumpy, it is never just on a number. It is constantly changing numbers with a range of +/- 10psi from the ideal pressure. I can't imagine my pressure is ACTUALLY fluctuating this much. I am wondering if this is due to having the sensor mounted in the oil galley plug, or simply because it is a digital gauge, or bc it is a POS. Not sure. I sourced the proper extension bolt to use the TRD sandwich sensor plate in conjunction with the mocal thermostatic sandwich plate. I will try moving the sensor to the sandwich plate and see if that helps. I will report back.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...07945125781915

**I will post pictures up later, no pics, no proof**
I think you should see something very low at idle and then the pressure should rise about 10psi per 1000rpm. Is that about what you see? I think the oil gallery is considered the best location for the pressure sender as it gives your reading right where the bearings are at. Also, I had all kinds of fitment issues with that pod as well. Had to hack and grind on it to make it fit. It is a good concept but it's executed very poorly I think. I got it to work and am ok with it now, much like you.

Last edited by wootwoot; 01-08-2015 at 11:41 AM.
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote