Old 03-02-2016, 07:34 PM   #39
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Politically, I'm suspicious about Scion's shutdown also being motivated by the benefits Toyota USA Executives and Dealers might expect when Scion's lineup is absorbed into Toyota USA's sales. This might have just as much to do with Scion's shutdown as the picture that Scion was a failed brand. Toyota USA just inherited 4 good to great cars that fill gaps in their product lineup and inject excitement into their overall portfolio.
The iA (Mazda 2) - Is probably the best subcompact sedan in the U.S.
The iM - Replaces the Matrix that was a hit for Toyota who now desperately needs a 5 door hatch in its' lineup.
The FR-S - Is the ONLY lightweight 2+2 sports car on the market outside of the Lotus Evora, and is a hit with critics that goes well beyond what the Celica ever was.
Now the CH-R - Is the CUV that replaces the RAV-4 as it has moved upmarket in cost/size while becoming more boring and mainstream.
If I'm a U.S. Toyota exec or Dealer without Scion in-house , I'm drooling at the prospect of getting 4 excellent cars in one year. It wouldn't surprise me if the same Toyota people were pushing hard to kill Scion as a brand just to get their hands on these models.
You may be right. Scion was conceived to bring younger buyers into the Toyota fold at a time when the Toyota line up was a good cure for insomnia.
However, with the direction that Toyota has been taking in the last 5 years or so (towards sportier, or at least more interesting vehicles), the value of Scion has become questionable - especially when you have to maintain the logistics of a separate brand (even if it is sold in the same building as Toyota's line up).

And lay off the Celica - it had history and pedigree that go beyond the 6th and 7th gen as a WRC champ
I think if Toyota hadn't left it(and the MR2 Spyder) to die by limiting aftermarket support, making the ECU un-hackable, etc., it could've put up a better fight against the RSX.
I still think the 7th gen Celica looked great for its time, and stacks up pretty well against today's cars.
Again, that was emblematic of the late-90s/early-aughts Toyota, which was basically novocaine-on-wheels.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote