View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #55
d1ck

Drives: Black 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
Sometimes it's better to have some restriction to increase the speed of flow. It's like if you pinch the tip of a water hose the water flows faster.
When you pinch off the end of a hose you're creating what's called a nozzle which reduces the cross sectional area which the water has to flow through. This is why the velocity increases. You can determine the velocity through a known opening by doing the following:

Code:
Velocity (ft/s)= Flow Rate(ft^3/s) / Area (ft^2)
However, you're not getting more flow by doing this, that literally makes no sense. Try breathing through a straw and you will know what I mean. It's much easier to breathe through your open mouth or nose which has a larger cross sectional area than a straw.

You're also creating a restriction which reduces the flow rate through the entire system system (Hose). Therefore by pinching the hose off you're increasing the velocity of the water, but also reducing the flow rate. The amount the flow rate is affected depends on the efficiency of the orifice as well as the area.

Now that you've (hopefully) learned some basic fluid dynamics you will understand why what you said has nothing to do with the increase from installing a filter.

That said, I can't explain why that happened, but I'm thinking it could be due to intake resonance which would have been designed with the filter in mind. Unfortunately I don't know anything about this field.

Alternatively it could be a simple artifact in the dyno testing and within the margin of error of the dyno. In this case it would have no significance.
The Following User Says Thank You to d1ck For This Useful Post:
theredtape (04-26-2013)