View Single Post
Old 06-03-2019, 03:15 AM   #8
AD55

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Imho to solve one issue you adjusted seat to introduced several others. If you have harder time reaching front-faced gears, most probably your torso are also too far from properly holding steering wheel.

Adjustment should go like this:

- move seat base back till with fully pressed clutch/brake pedals to the floor leg still isn't completely straight, rather a bit bent in knee, and thig not lying/pressing against seat base polstering. That will enable to press pedals harder if needed and with getting tired less over time.

- as prerequisite for following point, i usually move steering wheel as close to me as i can. While adjustment range imho is insufficient, remember that twins steering wheel is not just up/down tilt, but also telescopic. Reason i move steering wheel closer, so that i can later lean seat back more, to gain extra head room (matter if wearing helmet). Tilt should be adjusted for steering wheel to be directed to chest, but i usually move almost to highest position to gain more room for swinging knee when heal&toeing.

- adjust back of seat close enough, so that you can put wrist on 12 o'clock position steering wheel (with freely swingable up-down palm on other side of wheel), without leaning to front, without shoulders and back stopping touching back of seat.
This should ensure that your hands are not too far from steering wheel to not have proper hold at multiple turning positions and similar as with legs, hands are almost never completely straight in elbow, so that if needed you can turn steering wheel stronger, quicker, tiring less, with more precision unlike if you move with straight hands using mostly just upper torso muscles and loosing hold at some steering postions.
If you are close enough to steering wheel, you certainly shouldn't be too far from shifter, which should also be even slightly closer then right adjusted steering wheel, or at similar distance, only a bit to side and lower. Certainly not at hard to reach distance.

- finish with adjusting center and side mirrors to current seating pose.

P.S.
For my own body build & hands/legs proportions i find that for really proper seating as per above i need much more telescopic adjustment range then stock, so that i can lean back even more, so that with helmet on my head to not touch roof lining.
I currently installed J-Luth steering wheel (which is a bit smaller in diameter and at offset closer to driver by 20mm), but am waiting if/when 949 Racing will release stock steering wheel spacer to relocate it IIRC by 50mm closer to driver to test it.

So I guess the simple answer is "No", an aftermarket short throw shifter will not place the shift knob closer to me when in 1st, 3rd, and 5th.

Everything but my reach to the shift knob is fine. The steering wheel and pedal positions are near perfect. I can almost guarantee if I start messing around with the seat position, or tilt and telescope of the wheel I'm going to be right back to banging my knee on the wheel when I let off the clutch. Between the two issues I'll settle for a little longer reach to 3 of the gears.

In actuality I am probably wanting something the BRZ and just about every other production car that has a manual transmission can't deliver, which is the perfect driving position. There is going to be some compromise no matter how things are adjusted. That's okay though. Compromise is what life is all about.
AD55 is offline   Reply With Quote