View Single Post
Old 05-15-2016, 06:47 PM   #351
CxG

Drives: Pearl White '13 ZN6
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coheed View Post
There are only 3-4 kits that are favorable to me from the budget and engineering point. As each kit has been released, I've looked for engineering weak points and potential problem areas. If you want this kit to be reliable for years to come, this is something worth considering and factoring into the cost of the system.

HKS V3 kit looks great. It doesn't require a specialized belt, and the pipe routing seems slightly more ideal than the JR kit. Aesthetically, the intercooler layout isn't quite conventional, and this asymmetrical style may turn off some. Though some reliability issues have cropped up with the blower assembly, I would hope these are a small percentage of total units sold.

Cosworth SC is great. It should be super reliable, but their kits are sold in stages that don't seem to be cost-conscious. Engineering is top notch, though I don't like the rearward relocation of the TB.

My favorite kit is the Edelbrock kit. Though weight is the biggest drawback imho. This unit is big and heavy. But the setup seems to have the best engineering, doesn't need expensive traction fluid, has little maintenance, provides higher power gains than the Cosworth and Sprintex (from what little I've seen), and should be easily 100k miles reliable. You can retain the factory exhaust manifold for emissions purposes, but make even more power should you decide on aftermarket parts.

Overall, the Edelbrock kit seems to realistically be within most people's budgets, while giving solid gains and low maintenance. Turbo kits will make more power, but as people push these cars more and more, those transmissions will start showing their weaknesses, and that's something to factor into consideration as well. Just my .02.
How can mention the edelbrock but not the harrop?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
CxG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CxG For This Useful Post:
Ornelas66 (04-14-2018)