View Single Post
Old 06-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #697
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AN View Post
Okay ... Friday is a slow day at work ... so I started spending more time with Airflow calculations. If you are able to spin the Seadoo 215 compressor at 43k RPM, you can move 20 lb/s of air. (assuming at sea level). 20 lb/s should give you a pretty healthy boost. Per my calculations, as much as 12 psi @ 4500 rpm (not likely due to compressor surge line), tapering off to just under 3psi @ 7500 rpm. matrix below.

This sounds really good, may be too good to be true. In my opinion, limiting factor here would be:

Battery Current available for the TP Motor.
Compressor Surge line at lower engine rpms.

BTW @ Neutron256, If you are getting the TP Motor and haven't yet ordered it, I would recommend the 5840S-6D (Link) over 5650-6D. They both have exactly same specs (Power, Peak V, Peak I, Max RPM, KV). However, the 5840S seams to have heat dissipation grooves etc.
Nice work. It all looks promising. I did already order the TP 4070 3Y from TP Power. I agree with you that the voltage drop under load will limit the max RPM but I figure that motor is a good safe starting point, and if I find I'm not getting the performance I want I have no problem ordering a higher KV motor.

The new motor should be here Monday. It looks like they use a 6 hole mounting pattern so I will have to adapt the compressor which is currently setup for a 4 hole mount.