Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennlistuser3 View Post
It's interesting that you say the C8 does not fit you with helmet whereas the FT86 does (I assume it does since you have one). I was under the impression that the C8's large proportions were in excuse to making it very spacious inside to fit taller people. Does this mean the FT86 is more spacious than the C8 inside?

Regarding the understeer, the 992 911 does not seem to have such and they sell fine without fear of lawyers I think? honestly I just think GM does not have the proper experience on how to tune an MR car and it's a learning curve for them as opposed to say 911 that had decades to dial out understeer even in a RR car. I hope they figure it out by the time of the Z06 & Grand Sport.
By spec the ft86 has less headroom. (.9") but that's always based on a specific seat setting and I don't know which each used for either. Also since the top was off the car I couldn't really see if it's designed to allow additional height in the shell I was just comparing to the holes that it slides into. Once they are sitting around the dealership lot I'll try again but with a helmet. The 86 is close for me but I fit fine with a helmet in it. I believe that I run the seat more reclined than I'd prefer to do so though. I normally track the ZLE these days as that HP and TQ are so addicting and cornering speeds are no different than a somewhat built 86. Now brake feel compared to an 86 with Essex brakes... lol another story there.

I'll probably track the next 86 more (thanks to @Opie for dealing with its delivery today!)..

As for the 911, they understeer if you drive them wrong. The RR layout makes it easy for massive understeer under throttle. Trail braking is absolutely key for driving one fast at the track. I doubt these reviewers forgot the c8 was mid engine (which in my experience has the best balance of all layouts) so I have to suspect that Chevy built in understeer in case their average corvette car show buyer bought them and didn't have the talent to actually drive them.

Either way the base car with z51 still doesn't compete well against the ZLE I suspect so I'll cancel and consider a higher end model once they are available for far under MSRP....
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
rennlistuser3 (10-20-2019)