View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #143
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
All the discussion around the C8 just proves the old adage "You just can't please everyone".

I think that GM did an incredible job on the C8 and I think that if you're disappointed, your expectations weren't realistic and you got caught up too much in the hype and speculation surrounding it drummed up on the internet. The C8 is not a supercar. But it's a mass produced car that can run with some of them. It's definitely not the letdown that the Supra is.

The base C8 is $60k. How can anyone complain about the added cost of options? The options available for us 86/BRZ owners from the factory are a joke compared to how you can configure a C8. Do you know how much more expensive it is for a company to offer so many options?

Just like aftermarket parts, I wouldn't expect NOT to pay for added options. Hell, I've spent close to $20k in mods on my BRZ. That's friggin' 2/3 the original purchase price for the car!

Adding $20k in options to a $60k car isn't unrealistic at all. Has anyone looked at how much options cost on a Tesla Model X? The red paint options adds $2500. Black wheels add $5,500! 6-seat interior adds $6500. In comparison, the C8's options seem very reasonably priced to me - on par with aftermarket choices. Note that all factory options include installation; which isn't included on aftermarket mods.

86 owners complain about the road noise in our cars. "Where can I buy some dynamat?" Potential C8 owners are afraid they can't hear the engine as the cabin is "too insulated". People are going to complain about not enough engine noise, some will want to hear the radio. Everyone is going in with different expectations, meaning not everyone is going to be completely happy.

Everything in a base car like the C8 is going to be some sort of compromise, and GM engineers have considered all the options and made their decisions. The base C8 is meant for the masses, so to speak. That's why cars like the ZR1 exist - it's not meant for the masses.

Even after reading some of the more lukewarm reviews on the C8, I'm still blown away about what GM is able to offer that that price.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-18-2019)