View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 01:39 PM   #51
Johnny Horsepower

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
To give some more info here:

I had heard that the OEM tires combine the price and temperature restrictions of a summer tire with the warm weather performance of a winter tire. While I have no basis for comparison yet, I was planning to get something different at the next opportunity. Then I found they have dry rot. OK, a little more urgency. Then I punctured a tire a couple of days ago. OK, let's look into some tires.

On Sunday, my tire pressure warning light came on. Went to get air, one tire was at 10, brought it up to 35. The next morning, the light came back on. I already knew what the problem was.

I have some neighbors who are candidates for the Worst Person Alive award. In addition to general rowdiness, letting a 2 year old girl run around after midnight, and throwing trash off their balcony, their final act before moving out was to shatter a large mirror in the parking lot. I've been trying to drive around it, but it's been spreading the last few days.

When I bought my car, the dealer gave me a thumb drive with several documents, one of which said that while the warranty doesn't cover tires, if I buy tires from them during the warranty period, I get them for 20% off, if I surrender the old tires and pay in cash. So I called them to ask exactly what they mean by "cash." After being transferred from service to parts to "a service advisor" (very different from just "service"), I found that they have no idea where I'm getting this from.

I have it in writing, but it's just a piece of paper. It's not going to beat them up and make them give me the deal. But I wondered, if I showed up and gave them the document, would they honor the deal, or do they rely on people not being willing to take them to court?

It turned out to be a moot point, as they're offering a buy 3, get 1 free special anyway. But I decided I'd rather patronize my independent mechanic.

And I just heard back from my mechanic--the problem was actually a nail. And then I realized I had never actually examined the tire, I was just sure it was the broken glass. But instead of just patching it, I'm going to get new tires now. I'll order the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, and my mechanic will mount, balance, and align for $125.
Johnny Horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Horsepower For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (05-21-2019), humfrz (05-21-2019), Tcoat (05-21-2019)