HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larphraulen View Post
So, I don't have the mechanical aptitude to figure this out but I live in Canada with cold winters that are not nice for the 1-2 gear shift. In my previous car (VW GLI 6mt) and in my 2018 BRZ, I've noticed that the shifter doesn't grind on cold 1-2 shifts if I do the following:
  1. Am moving in 1st gear
  2. Push and hold clutch in
  3. Put shifter into neutral then put it into 2nd
  4. Release clutch

Where as if I just shift normally 1-2, it is really notchy (can feel some abrasion that I assume is the synchro). I'm not complaining by any means. For some reason the 1-neutral-2 method also seems to work better than a full double-clutch upshift as well.

Anyone else find this to be the case or have some speculation as to why it works better?

FYI, I'm on stock MTF for the BRZ. For my VW, this worked when it had stock MTF as well as Redline MTL.
chasing this concern by changing trans oil is a waste of time and money.. there are some techniques like the one you're doing but really the best workaround is go 1st to 3rd until the car warms up then every gear is smooth as butter no need to rush things right away as far as why this happens, think a good clue is that this is pretty common with other cars equipped with a similar AISIN derived gearbox like S2K and Miata..so after all it is a small trans designed for low torque applications and less about refinement. nothing is really perfectly balanced or smooth for power delivery and the cold only exacerbates those jitters..
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote