Old 01-19-2019, 07:14 PM   #82
joro2

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium MT (DGM)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
Ever since then I've sworn I would never own another car without a dipstick
Heh, the analog dipstick on my BRZ, sadly impossible (for me) to accurately read. The engine oil spreads all over it (a topic that's been covered in this forum -- I basically ignore the smear and just look for a solid oil line on one side of the stick but never feel fully confident I'm getting an accurate read).

Re: Porsche -- yeah, the same re: turned off by not being able to see the Cayman or 911 engine. Even though I don't "wrench" on my cars I do like to open the hood and look at (and try and understand) the underlying mechanicals, and one of the (many) interesting aspects of the 86-platform is the (aesthetically pleasing) engine bay -- i.e. boxer design, no ugly plastic covers, everything (well mostly everything) accessible, and the 2017+ MT has that great red crinkle aluminum intake, etc.

I drove a 1991 NA Miata from new (sadly sold a few years back, I do miss it) and considered an ND but wanted a change, and the new 2017 BRZ I purchased to replace the MX-5 has never disappointed. It's as fun to drive almost two years later as it was the day (4/20 2017) I took it home.

As for it being "slow", lacking torque, etc., just wind it up and wring it out -- it won't throw you back in your seat from a stoplight in 1st gear, but if you cruise in the appropriate gear, downshift for speed, etc. you'll have a plenty good time and (almost) always without breaking the law.

I do miss more of an open air cockpit feel (one of my favorite memories of the NA MX-5 is top up and rear window zipped down) and wish the BRZ had at least a simple removable roof panel (or panels) but most (FL) days I drive it old school with both windows rolled down and that satisfies -- reminds me of my past (cherished memory) 70s-early80s Toyota and Datsun hardtop coupes.
joro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joro2 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-20-2019), Vic4uf (05-28-2019)