Old 11-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #550
carsebuco
How do I shift?

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRSRFR View Post
If it's a screech and not a quick squeak (if that even makes sense), and it's constant, I would get your throw-out bearing checked just to be sure.

Lubrication issues, based on my reading, would only give you a short "squeak" sound when the pedal is moved in or out, but would not be constant.

Throw-out bearing issues, on the other hand, would give a constant screech or squeal sound.

For about a week or 2 before my throw-out bearing gave out, I had the squeal under the same conditions as you; cold start, car in neutral, engine idling. It would come and go for a bit and then would stop once the car was warmed up. I thought nothing of it, because it would go away and the car still drove fine, and then within 2 weeks of that, my throw-out bearing seized.

Better safe than sorry!
I took it to this guy who's actually gonna look at it on Thursday and he said just from the sound it's TOB. However, I still posted the video for you guys on my previous post.

Now, if it is the TOB, how much are we talking about here? I looked it up and some people say might as well replace the whole clutch, but I'm not feeling that rich just yet.
carsebuco is offline   Reply With Quote