Old 10-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
SpeedR
First86 / boat thief

Drives: MKIV Supra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoCartman View Post
I need some input from anyone who's got some expertise on aerodynamics.

I've been looking at various bodykits with the goal of increasing front downforce in mind. Want something functionally-minded, but as this is my daily driver I don't want something *too* race-track ready (i.e. a big front-diffuser jutting out, getting caught on curbs and speedbumps and driveways).

So I was excited when I saw the Vertex Japan kit, as it seemed to be clean, not over-the-top, but still provide surface area to affect downforce. Then I noticed the middle section of the front-lip...

Now, is it just me, or does it seem like that section will cause the front end to lift, rather than hunker down? That was my thinking, anyway... so I dismissed it as just another kit that was putting style ahead of substance.

But then I started noticing other kits with that same sort of upturned middle section, notably the Garage Vary kit...

...and the Rocket Bunny kit...

So here's my question: is there some secret to the aerodynamics on the FR-S/ 86 body that makes this upward-deflection area a good idea? And if so, can somebody explain it to me why? Best I can come up with is that it might speed up air flowing under the car, therefore creating low-pressure and drawing the entire vehicle down. But if that's the case, would our cars need the under-panels that are present on the JDM model GT-Limiteds to make this effective?

Thanks in advance for any help...
All of that air under the car looks like a bad idea to me.
SpeedR is offline   Reply With Quote