View Single Post
Old 07-13-2023, 04:28 PM   #65
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Between my wife and I we have:

2001 Chevy S10, 4cyl 5-speed: most just goes with me when hunting or making a Lowe's/Home Depot run. Also fetches summer/winter tire set from storage. Taught my wife to drive stick on this, which she denies having learned to do. Bought used many years ago, no payment. Something like 130k on the clock, runs like it's friggin' immortal.

2018 Honda Fit: Wife's car. Basically her dream car (I don't get it - it's a nice car but she literally doesn't want anything else and is ANGRY that Honda discontinued it.) This is her DD and our main grocery-getter. If it's too big to fit in the GR86 but small enough to fit in the Fit, this car gets driven. Bought new, 0%, have a few payments left.

2022 GR86: My car. I drive this for everything it can possibly do. If it doesn't require a truck, I'm driving this. Well, unless the weather is nasty (ie. likely to damage the car). When we both go somewhere I drive this as often as I can. Got it at a good rate, but obviously haven't paid it off.

We ended up with the GR86 in automatic because I want the wife to drive it (but it's nearly impossible to get her to do so). Similar to Dadhawk we have a "more cars than drivers" rule, and since she won't practice her stick shift skills if her car is in the shop the GR86 would be the only option. I don't care enough to be bothered, but I may insist on manual in the next "my" car and just say "learn stick or drive rentals". She HATES big cars, and most rentals are huge.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting an Outback or Forester to replace the S10. I don't really need the "truckiness" of the open bed very often, and the 2WD nearly got me stuck last deer season. But it also runs like new, is paid off, has a whole bunch of scratches and stuff so I don't even bother washing it, and it's generally a great truck for a city guy like me. Rationally, it doesn't make sense to trade it for something else, especially not something with a monthly payment.

One thing I will say: the 86 is my second sports car (the first being an '85 Fiero I had in 1999) and it's made me think I'm never going to be happy from now on unless one of the cars I own is at least as beautiful as this car.

EDIT: if they do a Hakone edition of the Gen2, or otherwise offer that kind of green, I'm probably trading in for it. May also do that if Toyota builds a better engine or a mid-gen refresh answers the oiling problem even though I don't track the car.
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spektyr For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-14-2023), Ernest72 (07-14-2023)