-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
@Zaku (Won't let me quote)
"Yeah you're point on, I was hoping that Toyota would just do a GT trim for the whole world and just compete on the Limited Trim. But I guess they wanted to stick to the original strategy with something that's like a Premium and Under a Limited(basically just another FRS in the USA). At this point the 86 is just alittle more Lux than the Brz premium, probably in different seats, and trim pieces etc. Other wise it would be exactly the same, willing to bet it's within 1000$ margin of eachother. Maybe we'll see some sort of edition car next year with better stuff. Till then in my educated opinion, I think this Gen of 86 may not be successful as the FRS. But the BRZ will likely be steady with it's offerings."

The more tidbits of info we get the more I am convinced that the death of Scion was (contrary to usual industry standards) swift and unplanned. This left a group scrambling to make the changes that had to be done at the very last minute.

In my head I picture a Board of Directors meeting something like:

"Well then it is agreed we are done with scion?"
"Yes, but what do we do with the plans for the 2017 models?"
"Oh just slap some Toyota badges on them and go with what we planned. We can come up with something else for next year"
"Oh ok"

Although many North Americans seem to think otherwise, Scion was a microscopic division of Toyota's worldwide operations and the FRS was just a tiny portion of Scion. As lucrative as the North American market may be they need to buy some time to decide and plan what they are going to do. This transitional version of the 86 buys them that time. I would think we should see some much nicer trim levels next year. Now of course their official statement back when they announced Scion's demise was "we will be considering more levels in the future" so maybe even 18 is optimistic. Only time and official press releases will tell.
Yup, In the meantime if you don't feel like waiting. You can always go get a Subaru BRZ and be just as happy IMHO

Also new pics after some blog searches

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zaku For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (08-11-2016), raven1231 (08-11-2016), URACK (08-12-2016)