Old 05-19-2019, 05:56 PM   #13
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,826 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc7993 View Post
Since I’ve only had my first manual for about 2 months and changed the transmission fluid a week after I got the car, should I changed it again? Since during the 1st month I was still learning how to drive manual... Maybe that would smooth out when shifting gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi ya, jc7993, and welcome to learning to shift a car with a manual transmission -

First off, I don't reckon you need to change the transmission oil again. The OEM stuff should last for as long as you own the car.

Second off, I don't think a short shifter is going to solve your problem, it may make it worse.

Third off, learning to smoothly shift this MT takes up a good section of the learning curve, especially if you haven't been on the curve before.

Forth off, I suggest you carefully re-read ol @Ultramaroon's post, he pointed out some really good stuff.

I order to help you get a "feel" for how a MT/clutch works, after you have read up on "how it works", you may try clutchless up shifting, as a lab phase of your course of study.

Yep, find a nice, uncrowded, quiet country road, driving by just yourself in the car. Start off in first gear and accelerate up to about 3,000 rpms. Now, let off the gas, and (without using the clutch), gently pull the shift lever out of first gear and slip it into second gear.

TIMING IS EVERYTHING

Now accelerate up to about 3,500 rpms and do the same thing, pushing out of second gear and slipping into third gear. Repeat going into fourth gear.

TIMING IS EVERYTHING

It will take you a while to get the timing down and you may experience some slight gear "feedback" until you get it right, but, don't worry, contrary to some folks beliefs, this transmission id NOT made out of glass.

Remember, listen and feel to what the engine and driveline is telling you.

TIMING IS EVERYTHING

Now, after you have mastered this technique, when you introduce the clutch into the mix, shifting the MT will become a piece of cake.

Any questions?

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
jc7993 (05-19-2019)