View Single Post
Old 05-19-2019, 05:35 PM   #11
jc7993

Drives: Looking to buy
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
You don't learn how to drive stick in a month. You are still learning how to drive this manual, which is pickier than others about sloppy shifting. People like to tout that pickiness as a feature of a tight, sporty transmission. Haha... bullshit.

Without getting into details, it's picky because this particular combination of design priorities, including cost, resulted in a configuration with syncro clutches barely adequate for the job. That's all.

How many miles on your car now? It took mine a good 8000 miles before the syncros broke in (lapped together) enough to start working effectively. I did a lot of double clutching back in those days because - @Tcoat, back me up on this - I'm a little too touchy-feely about my shifting.

I suggest that you take this time to study up on how a manual transmission really works. Then move on to learning how to both upshift, and double-clutch-downshift in order to always be sinking into gear. By sinking, I mean from neutral, always engage a gear with the speed of the input side is spooling down to match that of the output. This way of shifting requires the least amount of work from the syncro clutches. @humfrz might suggest learning how to shift without a clutch altogether. Technically the syncros do no work in that situation.

If you're interested in this stuff, let me know.

Thank you so much for your input. I bought my car used with a bit over 38500 miles, now it’s at 39500. I have tried double clutching at every shift but would definitely need more practice, now that it makes more sense to only double clutch while downshifting.

My main concern is the occasional shifter being stuck halfway sometimes even though I thought I put enough force to put it into gear and also the crunching feel when putting the shifter into gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jc7993 is offline   Reply With Quote