View Single Post
Old 05-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #10
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
You don't learn how to drive stick in a month. You are still learning how to drive this manual, which is pickier than others about sloppy shifting. People like to tout that pickiness as a feature of a tight, sporty transmission. Haha... bullshit.

Without getting into details, it's picky because this particular combination of design priorities, including cost, resulted in a configuration with syncro clutches barely adequate for the job. That's all.

How many miles on your car now? It took mine a good 8000 miles before the syncros broke in (lapped together) enough to start working effectively. I did a lot of double clutching back in those days because - @Tcoat, back me up on this - I'm a little too touchy-feely about my shifting.

I suggest that you take this time to study up on how a manual transmission really works. Then move on to learning how to both upshift, and double-clutch-downshift in order to always be sinking into gear. By sinking, I mean from neutral, always engage a gear with the speed of the input side is spooling down to match that of the output. This way of shifting requires the least amount of work from the syncro clutches. @humfrz might suggest learning how to shift without a clutch altogether. Technically the syncros do no work in that situation.

If you're interested in this stuff, let me know.