View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
smbrm

Drives: Scion FRS Ht Lva(AT)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The FRS torque curve

How do the engine characteristics of the FRS/BRZ manifest themselves in the dayly driver situation?

Most have seen the information that has been posted regarding the torque curves for the FRS/BRZ. I saw an interesting article in Car & Driver today regarding a test drive of the BRZ in France. What caught my eye was the comment about the noticeable dip(~120 vs. ~150) in the torque curve between 2800 and 4800 rpm(C&D), (3200-4800 rpm according to the Edmunds torque curve). Comment was made about how a 3-2(if I remember correctly) downshift from 6000 rpm put you right in the middle of the dip and resulted in a sluggish response! The other comment was that, operating above 6000 rpm on the 2nd flat part of the torque curve delivered more acceptable performance, but at the expense of fuel economy, more like city than anywhere close to highway fuel consumption.

Now mind you a Boxster has a similar but smaller torque dip.

It makes me wonder what one might be trading in engine performance for the handling benefits of the FRS/BRZ? Example: The Scion TC with 160 ft-lb at 4000 rpm vs. 120 is almost 36% more torque to propel agreeably a heavier weight(but only by 10%) for the TC!

For those switching from a TC(as an example) to an FRS, I would not expect similar perception of engine performance?

I have driven an FRS, but unfortuately not long enough to really assess this observation.

Just wondering if anyone else has made any observations or has any thoughts on this observation?

Is this a track car first and a "potentially" lukewarm in the engine department dayly driver 2nd?

smbrm is offline   Reply With Quote