View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #38
Maxim

Drives: 2010 GTI 2dr Tornado Red
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
Several years back I was riding shotgun when my GF at the time rear-ended an elderly couple at ~50 mph vs. ~20 mph. I slid forward a bit in the seat and my knees hit the dash, hard. I left a pair of fist-sized holes in the plastic. I had a purple bruise on each knee and a few scratches and that was it. There were no broken bones, hell I didn't even take an aspirin.

So the idea of adding extra airbags just to prevent that from happening is, to me, laughable. Even more so considering that when I drive my car, my knees are already less than half an inch from the dash and the steering column is between my knees. There is no way an airbag could protect my knees in my car, and there is nothing down there that they need to be protected from. It's just molded plastic with several inches of air behind it. To think that people need to be coddled to such an extent simply boggles my mind.

And as for breaking femurs, if I was in an accident where my legs were subjected to enough force to break a femur I would count myself very lucky to come out of it with just a broken leg. Femurs are tough SOBs, and any crash serious enough to break one could easily be fatal.
Yeah, femurs are tough as hell...if you break a femur there's gonna be multiple other places that get broken.

Right before we deployed, we were doing PT on one of the tank roads in Germany. before 8am, civilians aren't allowed on them. We were jogging and a car going about 40km/h came over a crest and hit one of our guys, took his legs out and send him flying about 20 feet.

He broke his wrist and bruised the hell out of his thigh. No broken femur. The driver of the car was definitely more frightened too. Running over a Ranger in your car and seeing him sail 20 feet through the air, only to immediately get back up and pull you out of the vehicle, bleeding all over you from a gashed elbow, is apparently pretty traumatic. We had to pull him off...hahaha.