Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johhnc479 View Post
I don't want my students to wad up their car just in the name of "learning". It's not like the east coast tracks are F1 tracks with fancy groomed runoff area. Its track, grass, then something hard. IMHO skid pad and autox are the places to turn off the aids when getting started. I do think having some experience driving with the aids will help me as an instructor. You think "identifying" with a 93 RS America is hard, try jumping from a stock 944 into the ubiquitous GT3's we've got in the novice group around here.

I doubt too many PCA instructors around here drive with the aids on.
I never suggested that, and in fact I think Novices should leave them on. With some experience, they are a negative though. At some point the aids absolutely do prevent progression. I dunno, I guess I just want students to continue to progress. At events I run we won't let novices or even intermediate students run R comps and strongly suggest aids stay on for the novice group (at the end of the day that's up to the driver and instructor though).

Tons of GT3s here also with R Comps and brand new drivers.. it's somewhat ridiculous actually. I wasn't picking a hard to drive car as the example, but rather one without aids..

My original point was just that the slip light flashing doesn't mean the driver/student is doing anything bad in these cars and that relying on the aids by never turning them off is, IMO, a bad habit. The Instructor bit was just an example of a case why it's bad.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote