Old 09-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #47
Sonolin
Banned

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephective View Post
No offense, but considering how antiquated the old model of how tuning was done a decade ago compared with today's technology, and Cobb's success
(among others) with end user tuning ability, it would be stupid of them not to. Sure they have the corner on the market now, but just like you said, there are other tuning platforms popping up that are considerably cheaper models. It would be a terrible model from a business standpoint to say "I'm going to stick to my guns because that's the way it's always been done" or, understandably, your concern as a tuner to make money if everyone is out there self tuning.

Somehow Cobb tuners manage to make money. I can assure you that aside from adjusting things like idle RPM, LTFT's and a few other minor changes, the vast majority are NOT going to do extensive self tunes even if the ability was available. I used Cobb for my Mazdaspeed 6 and that technology is now 5 years old. Half a decade has passed, we have a HUGE platform for aftermarket companies to jump on board (240,000 units in the first year? no brainer), the greatest advancement they've got right now for us is to basically have a cheap version of a standalone that the consumer will never have an input in personally.

I don't like the business model of trying to corner the market and extract every little dime you can from the consumer just because yours is the most function setup (for now). Greedy moneygrubbers, the lot of you. Just for making that comment, I will NOT be purchasing a tune from you when it comes time to pull the trigger on an Ecutek module. Whether that makes a difference to you, I care not, but the only way I can support ( or not support) a company is with the greenbacks in my pocket. Rest assured there are many others that feel the same way I do about the lack of end user tune-ability. I'm also aware that I really don't have much of a choice currently, so I'll bite the bullet.

I really hope others plead to ECUtek about this. It's stupid easy to implement. Just make a slightly dumbed down version of RaceRom. It's not fucking reinventing the wheel, it's okay to acknowledge others broke ground before you.
Unfortunately this is how its done in most of the software industry. Usually I find that people who really support this model only support it because they are in a business of doing so.

Being in the software industry, I've seen the damage this sort of business model can do and try to avoid it as much as possible. Its outdated and doesn't give full rights to the consumer purchasing the product.