strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Can anyone chime in on sidewall stiffness from the Indy 500's?
@Yoshoobaroo @strat61caster
iirc it's in between the OE Primacy HP and the PSS (stiffer than stock, softer than PSS), definitely softer than the common sports tires like Direzza Z2 or Bridgestone RE71R

I wouldn't want to pinch them, I think they'd get sloppy real fast like a 225 on a 7" I wouldn't want to waste money on, 7.5" might be passable with a 225.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
I am currently looking for new tires for my 2ZZ Spyder to replace my square set-up of 215/45-16 S-Drives so this conversation is interesting to me. I have been trying to decide how Extreme I want to go so the tires I have been researching are the:

Bridgestone RE71-r
Toyo Proxess R1R

or a little more sane with:

Continental Extreme Contact Sport
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500.

Anyone that can share experiences with any of these tires could help me and FT86 drivers decide which replacement tire to choose..
I think I'm about to hit the cord on my RE71R at ~2k miles, but that's ~140 autox runs on them and -4° camber up front with too many street miles. If you don't slide around on them on a frequent basis 5k-10k miles should be easy but I think you'd have to granny them to get to 15k miles even on a lighter car like the MR2. No experience with the Proxes.

I'm a little suprised the TireRack rep is saying that the Firestones are grippier than the Conti's but I could believe that for dry conditions. I'm wanting to switch to the Conti's because they'd be my daily tires so the softer sidewalls will be nice and they'd be my "I'm autox-ing in a monsoon" tires or "I'm just ****ing around at a track" tires. From the tests I can find they're second only to the PS4S in finding grip through a pond covered surface. I don't think the Firestones are great in the wet, part of why I say they're "90% of a PSS" is because I think the Michelin is better in the wet and has better dry grip when fresh, but the fresh Firestones were grippier than the worn out Michelins.

And of course this is just my memory of what my butt felt so ymmv.

I think you might be on the right track for picking the Indy over the ECS, sounds like you want something sporty but not too sporty, it also sounds like if you weren't using 16" wheels the PS4S would be the pick.
strat61caster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
qcbaker (03-26-2019)