Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
Move in a nutshell.

"This is not going to go the way you think..."
"Let the past die"

Those were the main points the movie was trying to get across.
Except it reversed all of the strides it made towards those goals at the end of the movie. Rey kept the books, used the force to lift rocks and is absolutely going to rebuild the jedi order (with the broom kid, if not, then why take the books then? why did Yoda stop Luke from going in and checking on the books? Yoda and Rey both decided to preserve the Jedi order against Luke's wishes). Luke reconnected to the force and faced down the first order's army solo with a lazer sword. Poe is still a hotheaded flyboy, Leia/Han still has a hold over their son, the first order is still pursuing the rebels, the rebels are still rebelling and on and on.

The only thing they really followed through on in terms of "not the way you think" and "let the past die" was that Rose learned her lesson from Benicio Del Toro and saved Finn instead of suiciding into the battering ram. Everyone else is walking down pretty much the same path they were on before this movie.

They didn't really subvert anything at all, I fully expect the next movie to be the downfall of Kylo Ren as everything he said in this movie is proven wrong from the death of the jedi to his connection with Rey to Snoke's true level of influence to Rey's parents. (Although I do like the idea that Rey came from nothing, the ship has sailed on making these things about the Skywalker family forever). If this new trilogy has told me anything about the Star Wars universe it's that the Sith are often charlatans and manipulators, not all powerful forces moving galaxies.

What I thought was interesting is it seems like TLJ is taking place days, if not hours after TFA, I'm mostly curious to see when IV will take place, either large scale events have taken place or they'll zoom in and take a closer look at how the characters grapple with being on the run right after they've escaped the clutches of the first order. Either could be good, but I'm almost thinking it'll be the latter given how Rogue One takes place literally hours before ANH. It also means they can stretch this conflict out into another yearly saga, a-la serial adventures like Lucas always wanted

I hope we get force ghost Luke though, I think that's the only thing that would make me mad, if Abrams didn't use Mark Hamill who is fucking brilliant. But I have little faith in Abrams doing something interesting, hope we get a new screenwriter soon.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-11-2018)